http://www.paid-to-promote.net/member/signup.php?r=miftahululum http://www.paid-to-promote.net/?r=miftahululum Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

2012/06/11

Chaka Khan Discusses Her Album, Classikhan, Which She Recorded With The London Symphony Orchestra

Chaka Khan
Chaka Khan
Legendary, multi-Grammy winning artist Chaka Khan is in the midst of another busy year. She recently released her excellent album of standard songs, Classikhan, which she recorded last fall with the London Symphony Orchestra. Currently, Khan is already back in the studio, recording a new funk/R&B album which she is very excited about. In addition, Khan continues to tour steadily, in both the U.S. and overseas. And to top it off, last December, Khan was presented with an honorary Doctorate in Music, from the prestigious Berklee College Of Music in Boston.

In this interview, Khan discussed the recording of her Classikhan album, plus her many other projects. Classikhan is in the tradition of the sophisticated, jazz & pop projects she has worked on, such as her acclaimed Echoes of an Era album (from 1982). This new album features Khan performing such standards and movie hits as “The Best Is Yet To Come,” “To Sir With Love,” ‘Crazy,” “Round Midnight,” “Goldfinger” and “Diamonds Are Forever.” There is also a new ballad, “I Believe,” which Khan wrote with collaborator/producer Ira Schickman. All of these songs were recorded with the London Symphony Orchestra. In addition, the album features guest appearances by pianist Joe Sample and percussionist Sheila E.
“I recorded [Classikhan] in October; these are songs I’ve lived with my whole life,” said Khan. “I remember seeing the movie To Sir With Love when I was a little girl. These songs were on my parents hi-fi when I was growing up. Everyone in my family sang, and we would always sing these songs. It was great to finally record these songs, especially with the London Symphony Orchestra.”
This was the second time that Khan had recorded with the London Symphony Orchestra. (aka “LSO”). “I previously worked with them with Babyface, when I sang “My Funny Valentine” for the Waiting To Exhale soundtrack. I really like working with LSO; they’re cool. They’re non-attitudinal; they just come in and do the work. It was the old school way to record (the album was recorded live in the studio). It was beautiful and gorgeous.”
In addition to this standards album, Khan has already begun work on a contemporary album of funk/R&B material. “I’m excited about the new album; it will be funky, with some great music,” said Khan. “The songs are reminiscent of where I came from, back to my musical roots. The good thing is, I’ve already recorded a lot of the material. I’ve been collaborating with Ira Schickman on some songs, and there will be many other, great musicians involved. I might work again with (producer) Arif Mardin on a ballad. We speak on the phone regularly, talking about how we can work together. One of the album’s songs features Mary J. Blige, but I don’t want to talk too much about it yet. I think you will hear the music that’s been playing in my head when it comes out.”
Chaka Khan album cover Classikhan
The cover of Chaka Khan's album, Classikhan.
In the midst of her album projects and her frequent, concert touring, Khan was able to take time out last December 3rd (2004), to receive a special honor. She was presented with an honorary Doctorate in Music, from the Berklee College Of Music in Boston. The event was held at Hynes Convention Center, where Khan and Parliament/Funkadelic drummer Dennis Chambers received their honorary degrees. The event also served as an inauguration for the college’s new president, Roger H. Brown.  Music legend James Taylor was the keynote speaker for the event. “It was great to receive this special honor,” recalled Khan. “To me, this degree was an acknowledgment of my work in music.”
With an outstanding career now spanning 30 years, including eight Grammy Awards, 18 Grammy nominations, three platinum and seven gold albums, Chaka Khan can now add “Doctor” to her long list of credits. And with such stellar projects as Classikhan and her upcoming funk/R&B album, Khan will undoubtedly garner additional awards and hits.

No comments:

Post a Comment

http://www.paid-to-promote.net/member/signup.php?r=miftahululum http://www.paid-to-promote.net/?r=miftahululum Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner